FA2 – Optimal Standards
This focus area will cover optimising standards for pavement structure, road geometry, construction, infrastructure capacity. Given the scarce resources of the African continent, road infrastructure should be provided at the lowest possible whole life costs, taking into account all relevant externalities.
The conference will inter alia examine:
- the viability of traditional approaches in the setting of design and construction standards for the African region
- smart mobility – reducing congestion and fostering faster, greener, and cheaper transportation options
- innovations in pavement materials composition e.g. end-of-life materials, secondary (waste) materials and alternative binders
- design of low volume / low cost road pavements
- the use of naturally occurring materials in Africa, e.g. pedogenic deposits, to provide more cost-effective road pavement structures